Infants

Sleep coaching strategies for naptime

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brenda McSween 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi Brenda! I started with PU/PD in my efforts to sleep train 6 month old Olivia, but found that moving to the extinction method was the best for us (she would get so worked up and cry much harder whenever I went to her). It took only two nights of this method (with a slight regression at days 4-6) for her to get the hang of going to sleep by herself, and right away she started sleeping through to 6am with one wake up.

I’m using the same method for naps. It’s lengthened her naps for the most part and she’s taking three pretty consistently, the first two are over an hour. What should I do for those naps where she wakes up after 30 minutes and does not put herself back to sleep? Should I let her cry for a period of time? The crying just seems so much harder than night time sleep training! Thanks!

Brenda McSween
    Keymaster

Hi Chelsea,

It sounds like you have found the right method for Olivia!! She is doing great. Naps can be a bit more of a challenge. I am attaching an article I wrote about extending naps that may help. Because the 30-minute naps are not predictable (I am assuming this) I would skip the first method suggested in the article and go to the 2 step if you have already tried letting her cry for a bit. If you have not let her cry then you could try letting her cry for 5 to 10 minutes to see if she will go back to sleep on her own.

Short Naps? Tips to lengthen the nap

Brenda McSween
    Keymaster

How are things going with naps Chelsea?

Hi Brenda – we just started increasing wake times yesterday. It seems as though it’s shortening her naps? She’s waking after 30 minutes and not going back to sleep even after waiting 5 minutes to see if she will settle herself.

Brenda McSween
    Keymaster

It is quite normal that the first few days you do this that the naps decrease but night time gets better. Give it 3 to 5 days before we make any changes.

Brenda McSween
    Keymaster

See the article above as well. I think you need to go in quickly and not wait the 5 minutes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar